MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Friday 15 March 2013

Nikon 28mm f1.8 AF-S - first review on an impulse purchase.




So this was a bit of an impulse purchase.   Henry's Outlet Centre was having a 25% off everything sale, and as I had to meet my brother in law nearby, I decided to go earlier to check it out.  I had a look at a couple of things, including some compacts, a Tamron 28-105mm f2.8 and some other odds and sods; but it was this lens that caught my eye.  Launched to excellent reviews less than a year ago, being almost $200 off MSRP seemed like a great deal, so I flung down the plastic and made the purchase, much to the chargrin of my wife.

Though I will admit not to being much of a 28mm lover, I decided to give this one a go.  The price isn't excessive, and f1.8 is quite fast for a 28mm lens.  I can't think of one off hand that is faster.  It is also Nano coated, the first lens I have owned with this (evidently this coating is impossible to repair).

First impressions is that it feels like a mid range consumer zoom.  Relatively well made plastics and very light, kind of like a Nikon 18-200mm.  Indeed it is probably half the weight of my Sigma 35mm f1.4, but while that may not give the impression of quality, it does make the camera feel light and is easy to hold for extended periods of time.

Image quality is very good, certainly sharpness is outstanding, though the focus isn't lightening quick, it isnt too bad.

Pretty sure I am going to enjoy this lens.






No comments:

Post a Comment