MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Saturday 23 March 2013

DX lenses on Full Frame



Pardon my "against the grain" theory, but I have this feeling that a DX lens could be used very successfully on full frame, providing you don't mind a bit of cropping.  As DX lenses heavily vignette on Full Frame, the photographer must then work around this.  Therefore a square or panoramic frame could work well.  Even using a program to correct vignetting that isn't totally lost, is useful.

On full frame, DX lenses operate like full frame lenses in terms of depth of field as the sensor determines this.  Just that they heavily vignette.  My theory is that a great DX lens can shoot outstanding photos on full frame, with just a bit of cropping.

I am thinking of purchasing either a Nikon 35mm f1.8 or a Sigma 30mm f1.4 to try this out.  Full frame lenses in this focal range are expensive, but I am wondering, if you are prepared to crop, will these lenses give you great performance as well.  A theory to be tested soon.

Nikon D2X, Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro

No comments:

Post a Comment