MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Wednesday 7 December 2011

Lens Review #3 - Bad and Brilliant standard zoom - Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 Macro




This large and fast Sigma is a strange lens.  On APS-C sensor cameras it is brilliant, but on Full Frame it’s not good at all.  On DX it is sharp all over from f2.8, and renders pictures nicely, and in fact it was my Dad’s copy for Pentax that really persuaded me that this lens was something to get, and soon after I picked up my own copy.  

On Full Frame however, at 24mm and f2.8 it has one of the most heavy light fall off in the corners of any lens I have ever used, as bad as the Kiron 28mm f2, which was my benchmark for terrible.   See Photozone’s Review for DX and also Full Frame, which is quite similar to my findings.

One thing I do like about this lens is the close focus.  While it is not a true Macro lens, it certainly does focus quite close, as can be seen by the picture of the rings below.

Eventually I sold it in a trade where I picked up the Nikon 18-200mm I have; and now I am looking out for a Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, which, while expensive, it is undoubtedly the best standard zoom lens you can buy for Nikon.

If you shoot DX, and specialize in weddings, it will be one of the best investments you make, and on the used market it’s only around $400 to boot.  For Full Frame though, spend the $1,600 and just go straight to the Nikon.

No comments:

Post a Comment