MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Saturday 15 October 2011

Zen and the Art of Compact Cameras


You might be asking why I took a 55 year old Leica 90mm Elmar with me instead of the much newer, faster and sharper Leica 90mm Pre-Asph Summicron  I also have.  The answer is size.  The Elmar collapses to the size of a rigid 50mm Summicron, and is easy to pocket.  

In a small camera snoot bag that I could normally just get the D90 and a kits lens it, I can fit the NEX, a Leica CL, 4 M Mount lenses, the NEX flash, a couple viewfinders and a couple filters or films.  Alternatively, I can put two cameras (with lenses attached) around my neck and the rest in my pockets.

The other issue with the 90mm Summicron is ease of focusing.  On a Leica M3 its OK, but on a NEX or any rangefinder with a short base length, it is extremely difficult to get it perfectly in focus at f2.  Even with the Elmar at minimum focus distance and wide open at f4 it still isn't easy to get it perfectly in focus.

I shot this Red Leaf in the Serena Gundy Park, which is attached to Sunnybrook Park.  The fall leaves are stunning there this time of year, and the NEX with the 90mm Elmar are great to take along for a pleasant stroll through the park.

Red Leaf, Serena Gundy Park - Sony NEX-3 with Leica 90mm f4 collapsible Elmar

No comments:

Post a Comment