MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Monday 24 October 2011

Rockwell Nokton Review


I recently read a review by Ken Rockwell on the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 Nokton that I often use with the NEX.  His review was quite negative, but when a new Leica 35mm f1.4 Summilux ASPH is literally 10 times the price to buy new, maybe he is missing the point.  I am sure the Summilux is a sharper lens, but for this money, so it damn well should be.

I have noted in a recent review that colour and sharpness of the Nokton significantly improves as it is stopped down, and I am sure wide open the Summilux will be better.  However, as I have shown with other fast wide angles, this is a common issue.

Using Leica M mount lenses has well and truly gone beyond the high end, very wealthy Leica M photog; which I think is all that he cares about.  Many people use them with EVILs, like me, which also are 1/10th the price of an M9.

For under $500 used or $700 new, there is no smaller, sharper 35mm f1.4 lens out there.  For any small 35mm lens by Leica, you would need at least $1200 more for the marginally better 35mm f2.5 Summarit; and for other 3rd party brands you’d need an extra $700 for a Carl Zeiss 35mm f2.  A Leica 35mm f2 pre-ASPH Summicron, still goes for $2000+ used for a 25 year old lens.  Any of these lenses are at least 1 stop slower than the Nokton.
In Mr Rockwell’s defence (and to whom his blog seems to be aimed at) I noticed how picky Leica owners can be when I sold my Leica 90mm f2 Summicron.  Sure my lens wasn’t perfect but it was amazing what Leica owners would pick at.  The tiny mark here or there became a very big deal.  The true Leica Man wants it all.

Sony NEX-3, Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 Nokton

Footnote:  Steve Huff's article on the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 Nokton is, in contrast, VERY positive; even when shooting on an M9.  He believes that the Nokton's 'flaws' are actually positives as they render the photograph in a much more classical way, like older Leica lenses.  Huff believes that this is a lens with 'Leica magic' (suggesting there's some characteristics that are like a $10K Leica Noctilux!); and for the price point, an unbeatable combination.  My point precisely.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if Rockwell actually uses the lens for the review. He's notorious for reviewing stuff without actually using the product.

    ReplyDelete