MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Wednesday 26 October 2011

Freelensing with a Schneider Enlarging Lens on NEX


I have had an old German Schneider-Krauznach  Enlarging lens floating around for a while.  This one is the 50mm f4 Comparon and is fitted to a cardboard lens board.  I have read quite a bit on the blog “Lens Bubbles” about using enlarging lenses on DSLR and EVIL cameras, and decided to give it a go, freelensing it on the NEX.  My previous freelensing results on the D700 were less than satisfactory, though a NEX probably had more room to experiment with due to the short base length (sensor to flange length).

The first thing I found was that the base length for this lens to be in focus was greater than the base length for both the NEX and M mount cameras (ie NEX + NEX to Leica M lens adapter) - see shot in the previous post.  Using some Nikon K extension tube adapters I experimented and found that I could get different focal lengths by adding or taking away the adapters.  For close up photos I used adapters K1 to K5 all stacked in a row.  This allowed a focal distance of approximately 30cm (refer to Photo 1).  

Photo 1 - NEX-3 with Schneider 50mm Comparon enlarging lens - 30cm focal distance


I then took away the K5 ring (approx 20mm long) and this increased the focal length to approximately 1 metre (refer to Photo 2).  

Photo 2 - NEX-3 with Schneider 50mm Comparon enlarging lens - 1m focal distance

As it was starting to get dark I had to shoot with the lens wide open at f4.  The shutter speed was only 1/20th second using ISO 1600.  This made my early hand held experiments very shaky, added by the fact that both the lens AND extension tubes were hand held and not stable.  So I all I got were out of focus "bokeh" shots! (See photo 3)  By stabilising everything on our deck rail allowed me to concentrate on focus to achieve crisp shots.

Photo 3 - NEX-3 with Schneider 50mm Comparon enlarging lens - "bokeh" shot

A more serious comment on the bokeh is worth making.  At 30cm the bokeh is smooth, as you would expect; however at 1 metre is has a lot of circular outlining and looks lumpy.

This first freelensing experiment with the Schneider was definitely worth while, though next time I want to get a focusing adapter to make the whole experience a lot more painless.

No comments:

Post a Comment