MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Wednesday 5 October 2011

Leica CL vs Sony NEX


A while back I bought a Leica CL, knowing the meter needed to be fixed.  I just got it back from repair and I noticed how similar in size the NEX3 and CL were.  They are within a very few millimetres of having the same width and depth, thought NEX mount is positioned further back (but this doesn’t change if you are using an M mount adapter and an M lens).   Even the body only weight isn’t too different – 365g for the CL and 297g for the NEX3.  Once you add the M to NEX adapter, there is probably only 30-40g difference in weight.

As for height, the finder-less NEX3 is about 10-12mm lower than the CL, but the NEX7, which is coming out later this year, has a finder and is about 8mm taller than the NEX3.  Close to identical in all dimensions!

Is the NEX a modern Leica CL?  Just maybe it is.  Both are modern compacts that use legendary M Mount lenses.   Well the CL was modern when it was launched in the early 1970s!

I am REALLY looking forward to getting my hands on a NEX7.  I think it will be an amazing camera, with all the features I am looking for.  The only reservation I have is low light performance may be marginal due to the huge 24 megapixel count.  Wait and see.

Rotman School of Management building shot with NEx3 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4

No comments:

Post a Comment